Saturday, September 17, 2011

Following the ASD Repair & Some JHH Fashion

10-17-2010

Funny how I stop writing during the most critical of times. So now I play catch up...Demetri, I pray that your desire to survive is always as strong as it has been during the first 3 months of your life. Almost two weeks ago you had open heart surgery. Docs said that it was critically needed. The ASD repair is supposed to reduce your PPHN. You look so much better and your breathing is so much better. Anyway, a week ago I was so scared and frustrated. Really I couldn't see the positives. Only heard the doctors saying again, that this would be tricky as your anatomy would create a load of challenges that this surgery normally wouldn't present.With that said, at around 5:30am, daddy and I held you, we cried and we prayed. We then rolled you, again, with a team of doctors, into the OR. We said, "see you in  a little while buddy" as they closed the doors.Wait....Pause...let me just stop to note that it was raining again. Seems to be a trend developing here with you and the rain....Okay continue...You were in surgery this time for 5 looong hours but everytime the doctors and nurses called to give us an update, they told us that you were doing just fine. Well, DUH!!! Cause you are super baby! After surgery, your stunning Italian surgeon met with daddy and I to let us know that you did super awesome and that even though your heart is somewhat upside-down and backwards, it works great!

In the days following the surgery, back to the PICU, you now covered in tubes, tape, IV poles and more, your heart did stop a couple of times. Once they even had to begin chest compressions. They were just pumping you with tooo much narcotic. So I stopped that really quick, and needless to say, no more heart stopping and off the vent!
Now you are back in the NICU where everyone was so happy to see you again. Cool thing is, as odd as this may sound, on the day of surgery you tested positive for mrsa [yuck and ughhh] so they put you on precaution. Every test [mrsa] that they did after that first one came back negative but they still have to keep you on precaution which means we get a huge private room. Bad news is that I am not supposed to touch you with skin, [yeah right] so its gloves and gowns until the precaution is removed... Really cute. More like HOT! No really, your dad might actually catch on fire in  one of those gowns!

Outside of the gowns and gloves, all is great, we are working on feeding you more and drugging you less. I am enjoying our private time together while Isy is in school. I bring my computer and books so that you can watch movies and learn about more than medicine and these drab walls. For Halloween you will be a doctor and we will all come to visit you in costume. Well, not me and daddy but Isabel and Jared.


Now we pray and ask for prayer that you are really on your way outta here this time, healed and healthy. In the meantime, I truly could be the luckiest mother on earth to have two of the most strong willed, perfect angels on earth to call mine. I love you Isabel and Demetri.

No comments:

Post a Comment